IES Syllabus 2018: Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), a recruiting authority of Indian government has announced about competitive Engineering Services examination for the year 2018. To fulfill the India level service related posts under Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering departments, this UPSC IES examination has been planned. Regarding this exam notice, numerous youngsters had done registration through online mode to participate in this test. To score high marks in this combined competitive examination, knowing about the IES Syllabus 2018 is very important. We guide appliers to now itself start preparing for the test by making use of the pattern and subject details that are given down, to be confident in exam hall.
|IES Syllabus 2018|
|Authority||Union Public Service Commission (UPSC)|
|Exam Name||UPSC Engineering Services Examination (IES) – 2018|
|Exam Category||UPSC Exam|
|Exam Type||Objective and Conventional|
|Exam Date||07 January 2018|
IES Syllabus 2018
IES is the examination which thousands of Engineering graduates across world used to writeup, inorder to acquire a government job in Railway, Defence, etc. services. For getting admission to this test, physical fitness as expected by Commission (UPSC) is very important. The IES Syllabus 2018 covers topics of General Awareness and concerned Engineering stream. Candidates who are qualifying in this written examination (results will be declared in December month) will be asked to submit the detailed application form to get considered for various public services/ posts that are currently vacant upto 2018.
Those applied persons will be issued with interview call letter to participate in the interaction round of selection, for 200 marks. Medical examination will be done only for Commission recommended candidates, at final stage.
- Qualification: Diploma/ Degree in Engineering or passed Graduate/ Associate Membership Examination or M.Sc or equivalent
- Age Limit: 21 to 30 years
- Selection Methods: Physical Test, Written Exam, Interview, Medical Examination
To successfully implement this selection, Commission follows the rules published by Railway Board in Gazette of India Extraordinary. Anyhow, placement will be done subjected to their merit position; preferences indicated by them in application, total number of vacancies in particular service and medical fitness.
Main Subjects of UPSC IES Syllabus: Two sections are there in this UPSC IES exam 2018. First is the objective type paper and the second is the conventional type paper. Only OMR sheets will be issued to answer for both the sections. Questions shall be asked from general awareness, English knowledge and relevant Engineering streams. On each section, two papers are included from domain related part.
- General Ability Test
- Domain Related Test (Civil/ Mech/ Electrical/ Electronics & Telecommunication)
UPSC IES 2018 Exam Pattern
Question paper will be set in English only. The offline mode of UPSC IES exam 2018 would be asked for about 1000 marks (total). But it should be rememberable that, only competitors who are securing qualifying marks in objective exam round will be allowed to take part in conventional type exam.
To answer for objective/ conventional type questions, maximum 6 hours (for each type) will be given. For blind/ locomotor disabled/ cerebral palsy persons, extra time of 20 minutes per hour will be given. Using black ball point pen mark/ write the answers for objective/ conventional type tests.
- UPSC IES exam is objective and of conventional type.
- Purely this is an offline mode of examination.
- For objective type, Penalty is applicable.
- For conventional papers, for illegible handwriting five percent of maximum marks will be reduced.
- Minimum qualifying marks will be fixed only be Commission.
|Section||Type of Questions||Subjects||Duration||Maximum Marks|
|1||Objective||General Ability Test (English and General Studies)||2 hours||200|
|Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electrical & Telecommunication Engineering Paper-I||2 hours||200|
|Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electrical & Telecommunication Engineering Paper-II||2 hours||200|
|2||Conventional||Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electrical & Telecommunication Engineering Paper-I||3 hours||200|
|Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ Electrical & Telecommunication Engineering Paper-II||3 hours||200|
UPSC IES Syllabus 2018 – Subject Wise
Candidates who got e-Admission certificates from UPSC are the eligible persons to participate in this IES examination. Test will be successfully conducted on places like Agartala, Jaipur, Port Blair, Mumbai, etc. The subject wise IES Syllabus and its topics on which participants should have good knowledge are listed here one by one. Paper-I & II of objective/ conventional type exam syllabus will almost remain same.
Syllabus of General Ability Test
(i) General English
- Workman like use of words
(ii) General Studies
- Current Events
- Scientific aspects
- History of India
Civil Engineering Syllabus
- Building materials
- Solid Mechanics
- Structural Analysis
- Design of Steel Structures
- Design of Concrete and Masonry Structures
- Construction Practice, Planning and Management
- Fluid Mechanics, Open Channel, Flow, Pipe Flow
- Hydraulic Machines and Hydropower
- Hydraulic Machines and Hydropower
- Water Resources Engineering
(iii) Environmental Engineering
- Water Supply Engineering
- Waste Water Engineering
- Solid Waste Management
- Air and Noise Pollution and Ecology
- Soil Mechanics
- Foundation Engineering
- Transportation Engineering
Mechanical Engineering Syllabus
- Thermodynamics, Cycles and IC Engines, Basic concepts
- Open and Closed systems
- Zerothe, First & Second Law and Application to non‐flow & Flow processes
- Refrigeration and Air-conditioning Modes of heat transfer
- Measurement of Calorific values
- Empirical correlations for heat transfer in laminar/ turbulent flows and for free/ forced Convection
- Supercharging Tubro‐prop and Rocket engines
- Fluid Mechanics
- Fluid Machinery and Stream Generators, etc.
- Theory of Machines
- Machine Design
- Strength of Materials
- Engineering Materials
- Production Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Elements of Computation
Syllabus of Electrical Engineering
- KM Theory
- Electrical Materials
- Electrical Circuits
- Measurements and Instrumentation
- Control Systems
- Electrical Machines and power transformers
- Power Systems
- Analog and Digital Electronics and Circuits
- Communication Systems
- Power Electronics
Syllabus for Electronics & Telecommunication:
- Materials and components
- Physical Electronics, Electron Devices and ICs
- Signals and Systems
- Network Theory
- Electromagnetic Theory
- Electronic Measurement and Instrumentation
- Analog, Digital Electronic Circuits
- Control Systems
- Communication Systems
- Microwave Engineering
- Computer Engineering
|To Download Syllabus||Click here|
UPSC IES Exam 2018
Including 29 PH vacancies, a total of 609 (approximate) posts are going to be filled for the services/ posts under Indian Railway, Central Engineering, Indian Ordnance Factories, Indian Defence/ Supply/ Inspection/ Telecommunication Services, Indian Naval Armament, Survey of India, Central Power Engineering Service, AEE in Corps of EME, etc. The posts are coming under Grade-I/ Group ‘A’/ Group ‘B’ category.
- Designations: Civil/ Mechanical/ Electrical/ E&T Engineers or equivalent
- Total Vacancies: 588 (approx)
- Date of Notification: 27 September 2017
- Date of Exam: 07 January 2018
Note: Topics and sub-topics that are involved under IES Syllabus 2018 are listed here on above section. To get some more idea, refer the official notice released for this examination.